Virtual makeup apps like YouCam are thriving with millions of downloads, tons of active users, and increased sales.
Despite being quite familiar to most users, apps like YouCam still generate profit as new AR-powered features come into play.
However, many brands consider makeup app development a pricey and long-term initiative. Here come SDK and whitelabel solutions to save resources and let companies launch fast.
In this post, we discuss how to build a virtual makeup app like YouCam comparing both SDK And whitelabel methods.
Virtual Makeup Apps like YouCam: Overview
YouCam is a smart beauty camera app that allows users to try on makeup products via augmented reality. It works with face tracking and neural networks trained to detect parts of the face and modify them in real-time, i.e. change color.
The core YouCam app features include:
- Virtual Makeup to test lipstick, eye shadow, foundation, etc.
- Beauty Advisor 1-on-1 to get personalized product recommendations.
- Hair Color Try On to test hair colors.
- AI Skin Diagnostic to assess skin health.
- Virtual Accessories to try on accessories in real-time.
With virtual makeovers, users can browse cosmetics products in the comfort of their homes and see how they fit. In seconds, you can visualize makeup or hair colors right on your face and nail your perfect look.
Building an app like YouCam can be a timely and costly endeavor. The easiest and fastest way is to use the right Virtual Makeup SDK or purchase white label makeup app with similar features and customize it per your needs. Here is the step-by-step comparison.
Virtual AR Makeup SDK with YouCam-Like Features
Virtual AR Makeup SDK is a software development kit that includes code samples and tools for beauty AR technology. Developers can integrate makeup try on and face modification features into their apps or to build virtual makeover apps from scratch.
Makeup try on built with Banuba Beauty AR SDK
Banuba's AR Makeup SDK features include:
- Real-time makeover
- Face beautification: skin smoothing, morphing
- Acne removal
- Eye bag removal
- Virtual hair color try on system
- Portrait tools for photo and video editing
- Face filters and AR effects.
When You Should Choose Virtual Makeup SDK
Virtual AR Makeup SDK is a go-to way for mid-size companies, large enterprises, or beauty brands that have internal development resources. Such companies may need a new app with the beauty AR features or want to integrate them into already existing products — mobile or web.
Consider choosing SDK when you:
- Have a development team or a subcontractor. The SDK integration requires coding efforts along with future support.
- Have designers on board to create the app content, i.e. makeup looks or AR effects. An Augmented Reality SDK is shipped with Effect Constructor and Viewer tools which allow you to create and test your makeup look before uploading it to your app.
- Already have a working application. The virtual try on technology takes months of development. With an SDK, you have all features ready and can quickly add them to your app.
- Want to develop an app from scratch. Virtual Makeup SDKs include a variety of features, however, you can use only some of them. It's easy to launch an MVP and then scale them up as your audience grows.
- You need a high level of feature customization. You can integrate SDK features into any workflow, and create your user scenarios and any UI.
How Much Does Virtual Makeup SDK Cost
The SDK is generally licensed on an annual basis with different pricing models, e.g. monthly, quarterly or annual payment, and depends on a set of features and use cases (number of apps, platforms, support package, etc).
Get in touch with us to discuss your use case and pricing if you’re interested in Beauty AR SDK.
White Label Virtual Makeup Try On Apps Like YouCam
The white label makeup app allows companies to use the functionality which has already been developed and released in other apps. You take the ready app and configure beauty products, makeup looks, or beautification parameters in a way it matches your audience and brand.
To explain better how you can get a virtual makeover app similar to YouCam, we take our Easy Snap app for iOS and Android as an example. We offer it as a white label solution for cosmetic brands, beauty shops, or AR solution companies.
Easysnap is a selfie camera app that features all Banuba Beauty AR technologies. With the white label model, you get its clone which copies the logic and features, yet offers your branded UI and unique makeup products.
App Store screenshots of Easysnap App
A white label virtual makeup app includes:
- Branded UI. You can customize UI elements, positioning, makeup looks, colors, and features.
- Custom features. We build a custom version of the beauty AR app.
- Content adjustment. We configure portrait and makeup tools, design custom assets, and upload to your app.
- Launch. We help with publishing in the App Store and Google Play.
- Support. We further support your app updating it with our technology improvements.
How Much Does a Whitelabel Makeup App Cost
The white label makeup AR solution is licensed on an annual basis and is calculated based on the platforms, the level of customization, and the support hours.
If you’re interested to learn how much it will cost to create a white label makeup solution for your brand, please test our Easy Snap app for iOS or Android and submit your requirements via a website form.
7 Benefits of Whitelabel Virtual Makeup Simulators
- Fast and easy launch. You can launch your app within a month.
- Proven user retention strategies. We share and apply our best practices for user retention in your while label makeup app, which we’ve gained for our app. This way you maximize the efficiency of your budget for user acquisition.
- No development and support costs. You don’t need to hire a technical team to launch and support your app, it is done on our side.
- Cost-effective research. You can research the market demand, launch campaigns, and generate value with a white label makeup app at a relatively lower budget rather than you’d spent it on developing an app from scratch.
- Lower risks. With the white label model, you get an already tested and proven tool to engage with your target audience, which means lower risks for your business.
- Dedicated PM. You communicate all requirements with a dedicated specialist who keeps you updated on the process.
- Cross-promotion. We can help you amplify your project by advertising it in our apps, social networks, beauty influencers and face filter communities.
When to Purchase a White Label Makeup Filter App
The white label makeup app model is the best fit for businesses that don’t have enough development resources or are pressed for time and look to jump into the beauty makeover market quickly. Besides, developing an app like YouCam requires both technical expertise, knowledge of the market, and the mobile consumer mindset. Consider the white label model if you:
- Want to launch quickly or explore the market interest
- Don’t have internal development or design resources
- Want to engage millennials with beauty AR experiences but don’t have the resources or time to develop an app from scratch.
- Have a beauty brand or cosmetic store looking to explore new channels of client acquisition.
4 Use Cases of Makeup Try On Apps Like YouCam
78% of millennial and Gen Z women surveyed say they would be more likely to purchase makeup products if they could try them on virtually
Over recent years, many leading cosmetic brands have been adopting augmented reality technology to enable virtual makeup try on service for their products.
The most significant use cases that brought a significant ROI increase:
- L’Oreal released its first virtual cosmetics try on app Makeup Genius in 2014. The app has been downloaded over 35 mln times and has become the №1 lifestyle app in 47 countries. It got about 260m virtual product trials that led to a conversion increase.
- Olay, the skincare brand, has doubled its sales conversions, reduced its bounce rate for online visitors by 1/3, and increased average basket size due to the AI Skin Advisor platform released back in 2016, according to VentureBeat’s report.
- MAC Cosmetics has launched virtual try-on mirrors in its physical stores across the country. The company expects a 31% sales increase due to the AR-powered in-store experience.
- Macy's, an American department store chain, will expand its mobile virtual try on letting consumers try on over a thousand makeup items from major brands. The expansion follows a successful test of lip products with a small number of users. Jill Ramsey, Chief Digital Officer at Macy's, said 2/3 of online traffic and half of the digital sales come from mobile devices, making its app users the "most loyal customer," per Adweek.